ISG is celebrating simultaneous milestones at its high profile £61 million Center Parcs Woburn Forest project. The contractor has just taken final delivery of the timber components for the last of the 625 timber lodges that it’s building across the 365-acre site. This milestone has also coincided with the successful completion of the very first fully finished lodge – which will now be sealed until the leisure destination opens to the public in spring 2014.
The highly complex logistical operation to create Center Parcs’ fifth UK village sees the construction of 109 lodge clusters at the Woburn site, with 16 different accommodation configurations across Woodland, Executive and Exclusive lodge specifications. ISG has worked closely with local timber frame specialists, Kingspan Timber Solutions to ensure that more than 38,000 wall components and 20,000 timber trusses have been delivered to site in the correct sequence, following the completion of ground floor slabs by ground work specialist Hiretest.
The final lodge wall panel came off the production line and was delivered to site just 222 days after the contract was awarded to Kingspan Timber Solutions, and its construction partners Regal Carpentry and Innovation On-Site have overcome significant challenges to reach this major milestone in the build programme. Following the successful handover of the first fully completed lodge, ISG will be delivering approximately 50 lodges per week as it concludes its element of the scheme next year.
Designed to be highly thermally efficient, the timber lodges are one component of the overarching Woburn Forest development, that is set to become a global exemplar for highly sustainable leisure developments. It is the first UK Center Parcs holiday village to feature a district heating system, with ISG’s contractor Vital Energi connecting each of the 625 lodges to the central biomass energy centre. In addition to the low carbon timber construction across much of the site, Center Parcs has planted over 20,000 new trees and improved the biodiversity of what was originally an ecologically poor commercial woodland.
ISG’s Alan McCarthy-Wyper, managing director – Construction, commented: “The scale and logistical complexity of the construction task at Center Parcs Woburn Forest is immense and at its peak, has involved over 1,000 workers spread across the individual lodge clusters. Reaching these major milestones is the culmination of outstanding effort and industry by all of our project stakeholders, working collectively to achieve what will be an exceptional result and showcase for the talents of the UK construction industry.”
Notes to editors
ISG Plc is an international construction services company delivering fit out, construction and a range of specialist services, with 31 offices worldwide. The company works with owners, developers and occupiers in the public and private sector for an extensive range of industries. ISG Plc was established in 1989 and has been quoted on AIM since 1998. Today the company has a turnover of around £1.1 billion.
Jessica Marshall=Pearce, Press Officer
Telephone: 01623 821723
Notes to Editors
- Center Parcs has five Villages across the UK; Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, Elveden Forest in Suffolk, Longleat Forest in Wiltshire, Whinfell Forest in Cumbria and Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire which opened to guests on 6 June 2014
- As the leader in the UK short break holiday market, Center Parcs regularly achieves average annual occupancy in excess of 97%
- Center Parcs offers weekend, (Friday to Monday) or midweek (Monday to Friday) breaks and welcomes over 1.7 million guests each year, with 96% of guests expressing an intention to return
- The Center Parcs concept is to provide a range of high quality accommodation, shops, restaurants and exceptional leisure facilities, carefully nestled amongst 400 acres of protected forest environment
- This concept originated in Holland in 1967, with the first UK Center Parcs opening in 1987. Center Parcs is now a separate entity in the UK, owned by The Blackstone Group
- Center Parcs has been awarded the following accolades since 2008: the Green Business Award for Biodiversity Protection, Visit Britain 5 Star Rating, Hospitality Assured, Biodiversity Benchmark - Land Management, Carbon Trust Standard, Good Spa Guide Award, ISO14001, Investors in People
- Center Parcs has recently been announced ‘Best Family Holiday Provider’ in the Tommy’s Awards for the eleventh year in a row