Center Parcs is delighted to announce that the construction of its 5th UK Village, Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire, will commence in the next few weeks. The construction phase will last for approximately two years, with a scheduled opening date now set for spring 2014.
This announcement follows the completion of all the requirements of planning consent, including the construction of a new roundabout at Millbrook, the diversion of Public Rights of Way and creation of new bridleways and cycle paths around the site. On the 28th February 2012, together with owners Blackstone, Center Parcs secured the £250m funding to commence the construction phase. The principal contractors for the project will be formally announced shortly and are expected to start the major infrastructure phase of the project in the next few weeks.
The project today received backing from the Prime Minister, who recognised the economic importance of Woburn Forest, David Cameron commented “Center Parcs is much loved by many and this new site is not only great news for holiday makers but great news for the economy too. This expansion and the jobs that it brings will be a real boost to growth and a sign of the increasing investor confidence that there is too.”
Center Parcs Woburn Forest will create in excess of 1200 jobs during the construction phase alone, and then a further 1500 jobs once the village is open, the vast majority of which will be from the local area. The village will also provide a significant economic boost to the county.
Center Parcs Chief Executive Officer Martin Dalby said “We are delighted to be moving on to the next stage of this project, and to have a definite opening date of Spring 2014. We would like to thanks Central Bedfordshire Council for their hard work and support in helping us to get to this point, and we will be holding a meeting in the near future to update the local community with the construction timetable and designs in more detail”.
Notes to editors
ABOUT CENTER PARCS
As the leader in the UK short break holiday market, Center Parcs occupies a unique position after 25 years of operation in Britain, enjoying enviable annual occupancy rates in excess of 95%. In that time, the name Center Parcs has become synonymous with the provision of an exceptional short break experience in a forest location.
The Center Parcs concept is to provide a range of exceptional leisure facilities, set amidst the surrounding forest environment which is both protected and enhanced. Center Parcs offers its guests short break stays over the weekend (Friday to Monday) or midweek (Monday to Friday), 365 days a year. There are currently four Center Parcs Villages in the UK; Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, Elveden Forest in Suffolk, Longleat Forest in Wiltshire and Whinfell Forest in Cumbria, each with its facilities discreetly hidden in approximately 400 acres of natural woodland.
Center Parcs UK is owned by The Blackstone Group.
For further information and interviews please contact:
Simon Kay, PR Manager
Telephone: 01623 821722
Notes to Editors
- Center Parcs has five Villages across the UK; Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, Elveden Forest in Suffolk, Longleat Forest in Wiltshire, Whinfell Forest in Cumbria and Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire which opened to guests on 6 June 2014
- As the leader in the UK short break holiday market, Center Parcs regularly achieves average annual occupancy in excess of 97%
- Center Parcs offers weekend, (Friday to Monday) or midweek (Monday to Friday) breaks and welcomes over 1.7 million guests each year, with 96% of guests expressing an intention to return
- The Center Parcs concept is to provide a range of high quality accommodation, shops, restaurants and exceptional leisure facilities, carefully nestled amongst 400 acres of protected forest environment
- This concept originated in Holland in 1967, with the first UK Center Parcs opening in 1987. Center Parcs is now a separate entity in the UK, owned by The Blackstone Group
- Center Parcs has been awarded the following accolades since 2008: the Green Business Award for Biodiversity Protection, Visit Britain 5 Star Rating, Hospitality Assured, Biodiversity Benchmark - Land Management, Carbon Trust Standard, Good Spa Guide Award, ISO14001, Investors in People
- Center Parcs has recently been announced ‘Best Family Holiday Provider’ in the Tommy’s Awards for the eleventh year in a row