52,000 bluebells were delivered to Sherwood Forest this week which are being planted along the entrance drive. Since 8th May, Center Parcs Conservation Rangers at Sherwood Forest have been planting the bluebells which guests will be able to see when arriving for their forest breaks and departing.
Grown from their seed for three years, the 13,000 pots of native English bluebells filled 26 trollies. They were transported this week from Norfolk, travelling more than 130 miles to their new home at Center Parcs Sherwood Forest.
Chosen for their rarity in ancient woodlands these days, the bluebells will help to restore the area to its original state while enhancing the natural habitat.
Linda Laxton, owner of British Wild Flower Plants has worked with Center Parcs for the past 20 years and is pleased to be helping an organisation that cares for the environment: “Woodlands in the spring are so beautiful, and the bluebells will add to the ancient woodland feel. The team at Center Parcs are very focussed on preserving the natural woodland habitat and they have already received heathers and other plants to enhance biodiversity.”
With a big emphasis on ecology and preserving the natural environment, Center Parcs at Sherwood Forest has been keen to have more British Bluebells planted in the forest as Darren Bowsher, Center Parcs Sherwood Forest Grounds Services Manager, explains:
“Nature is at the very heart of what Center Parcs is about and we are proud to have been continually improving the biodiversity of Sherwood Forest for 25 years. We can’t wait to plant all these beautiful flowers at Sherwood Forest so our guests can enjoy British Bluebells this spring and each spring for many years to come. It is a great feeling when you see the forest really blossoming!”
Notes to editors
About British Wild Flower Plants
British Wild Flower Plants is a specialist propagator, based in North Burlingham, Norwich, with over 25 years’ experience in the trade and retail sectors.
The company is the largest grower of native plants in the UK, growing over 300 species of native British plants.
About Center Parcs
Center Parcs was the first organisation to be awarded The Wildlife Trust’s Biodiversity Benchmark for all its sites in 2007 and has achieved this standard year after year. Following a rigorous audits, the Biodiversity Benchmark was presented to Center Parcs in recognition for its continual efforts to protect and enhance the natural environment at its four UK holiday Villages across the UK.
Center Parcs was also awarded the Haymarket Green Business Award for Biodiversity Protection in 2009. The Biodiversity Protection category measured company leadership in safeguarding and enhancing habitats and species with reference to the managing, monitoring and executing of biodiversity protection across all sites. For more information, visit: www.greenbusinessawards.com
For more information, visit www.centerparcs.co.uk
Center Parcs Press Office
Telephone: 01623 821733
Notes to Editors
- Center Parcs has five Villages across the UK; Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, Elveden Forest in Suffolk, Longleat Forest in Wiltshire, Whinfell Forest in Cumbria and Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire which opened to guests on 6 June 2014
- As the leader in the UK short break holiday market, Center Parcs regularly achieves average annual occupancy in excess of 97%
- Center Parcs offers weekend, (Friday to Monday) or midweek (Monday to Friday) breaks and welcomes over 1.7 million guests each year, with 96% of guests expressing an intention to return
- The Center Parcs concept is to provide a range of high quality accommodation, shops, restaurants and exceptional leisure facilities, carefully nestled amongst 400 acres of protected forest environment
- This concept originated in Holland in 1967, with the first UK Center Parcs opening in 1987. Center Parcs is now a separate entity in the UK, owned by The Blackstone Group
- Center Parcs has been awarded the following accolades since 2008: the Green Business Award for Biodiversity Protection, Visit Britain 5 Star Rating, Hospitality Assured, Biodiversity Benchmark - Land Management, Carbon Trust Standard, Good Spa Guide Award, ISO14001, Investors in People
- Center Parcs has recently been announced ‘Best Family Holiday Provider’ in the Tommy’s Awards for the eleventh year in a row