On Thursday 9th May, Eddie McAdam Group F&B & Retail Manager visited Redborne Upper School and Community College to judge a picnic challenge set for Year 9 Technology students.
Inspired by the new Center Parcs, Woburn Forest, due to open just 2 miles down the road in 2014, teachers at the school tasked the Technology students to work in groups to research, design and create a variety of products themed around the Center Parcs concept.
The Food Technology students were asked to design and create a picnic hamper with a variety of foods and drinks which would suit guests enjoying a break at Center Parcs. For 8 weeks, Food Technology students planned and practised skills to help them create their picnics and thought carefully about how the foods would be packaged and presented to suit guests. Textiles students designed and made bunting to accompany each picnic creation. Product Design students designed and made wooden games that could be played at Center Parcs, and Graphics students designed and made blister packs for sample products for use at Center Parcs.
After hearing about the challenge, Center Parcs were keen to be involved in this unique project. Eddie McAdam from Center Parcs accepted an invitation to visit the school on 9th May, provide each student with his feedback on their creation and hand out prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places for the Food Technology element of the project.
Eddie McAdam, Center Parcs F&B Manager said;
“When we heard about this opportunity to see what the students had made for this project, we were so excited that we could be a part of it. This is really about the students and all their commitment and hard work. I have been amazed by all the thought and care that has gone into each picnic. I’ve even got a few ideas that I may use in the future. Well done to all the students, all the entries were fantastic!”
Redborne Upper School and Community College is a very successful 13 – 18 Upper School of over 1,400 students. The school was graded as “outstanding” in the most recent OFSTED inspection. Redborne Upper School serves the population of Ampthill, Flitwick and surrounding villages and is the nearest upper school to the new Center Parcs village. Center Parcs Woburn Forest is located between Ampthill and Flitwick in Bedfordshire and is due to open in spring 2014.
Notes to editors
Center Parcs Woburn Forest
Center Parcs is the UK's leading short breaks operator and every year over 1.6 million guests stay at the existing four villages each set in 400 acres of woodland. In spring 2014 Center Parcs Woburn Forest will open, which will mean there will be a Center Parcs within easy reach of a majority of all UK families. This is an opportunity to bring something new to the Center Parcs family with a number of exciting new concepts which will be announced over the next few months. When Center Parcs Woburn Forest opens in spring 2014, it will bring an investment of approximately £20 million to the area of Bedfordshire each year through employment and use of local services.
For more information, visit: www.centerparcs.co.uk/woburnforest
Contact informationName Jessica Pearce Division Center Parcs - Woburn Press OfficerTelephone 01623 821723 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
- Center Parcs has five Villages across the UK; Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, Elveden Forest in Suffolk, Longleat Forest in Wiltshire, Whinfell Forest in Cumbria and Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire which opened to guests on 6 June 2014
- As the leader in the UK short break holiday market, Center Parcs regularly achieves average annual occupancy in excess of 97%
- Center Parcs offers weekend, (Friday to Monday) or midweek (Monday to Friday) breaks and welcomes over 1.7 million guests each year, with 96% of guests expressing an intention to return
- The Center Parcs concept is to provide a range of high quality accommodation, shops, restaurants and exceptional leisure facilities, carefully nestled amongst 400 acres of protected forest environment
- This concept originated in Holland in 1967, with the first UK Center Parcs opening in 1987. Center Parcs is now a separate entity in the UK, owned by The Blackstone Group
- Center Parcs has been awarded the following accolades since 2008: the Green Business Award for Biodiversity Protection, Visit Britain 5 Star Rating, Hospitality Assured, Biodiversity Benchmark - Land Management, Carbon Trust Standard, Good Spa Guide Award, ISO14001, Investors in People
- Center Parcs has recently been announced ‘Best Family Holiday Provider’ in the Tommy’s Awards for the eleventh year in a row