With recruitment for its new Village almost complete, Center Parcs has now delivered more than 70,000 hours of training to its new staff in total. A further 14,000 hours being delivered between now and opening in the spring. All staff training has been delivered locally, in and around Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire.
There have been more than 80 different training courses for specialist staff across a variety of areas including leisure, technical services and the spa. Many of the new starters are achieving widely respected industry qualifications as a result of their training programme.
Over 1,100 people have now been offered roles at Center Parcs Woburn Forest. Each new starter receives at least 10 days training which also includes Center Parcs’ Welcome Workshop. The workshop introduces the Company ethos, values, history and brand to each new recruit.
£400,000 is invested in training employees across Head Office and the four existing Villages each year. An additional £350,000 is being spent on training the new team at Woburn Forest before opening.
Tracy Walker, Training and Development Manager for Center Parcs UK said:
“Our teams are a key part of our success. When recruiting, we look for people who are naturally caring, positive and helpful and then through training we provide them with the skills and confidence to give our guests a truly exceptional experience. Many of our people at existing Villages have been with us for many years which is a testament to how well we look after our teams and invest in their future”.
Following the opening of Woburn Forest, training will then continue on an ongoing basis like the existing Villages, with more than 450 training courses becoming part of the ongoing training schedule.
Woburn Forest is Center Parcs’ fifth Village, due to open in the spring.
Jessica Marshall-Pearce, Press Officer
Telephone: 01623 821723
Sustainability facts and figures
Committed to enhancing the forest and wider environment, Center Parcs aims to be one of the leading sustainable ‘Large Scale Tourist Destinations’ in the UK. The Center Parcs Sustainability Strategy, launched in 2011, promises to reduce Center Parcs carbon emissions by 20% and produce 10% of its energy from renewable sources by 2020. Center Parcs currently uses a variety of different energy saving choices including:
- New and refreshed accommodation projects have included environmentally efficient technology such as:
- Ground source heating
- Solar panels
- Combined heat and power plants
- Energy-saving LED lighting
- Water-efficient showers
- Low-energy kitchen appliances
- Intelligent thermostats
- Electric vehicle fleet for housekeeping and technical services
Center Parcs is investing in energy efficiency and renewable technologies - such as District Heating - to achieve the aim of consuming 25% less than the average existing Center Parcs village.
Notes to Editors
- Center Parcs has five Villages across the UK; Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, Elveden Forest in Suffolk, Longleat Forest in Wiltshire, Whinfell Forest in Cumbria and Woburn Forest in Bedfordshire which opened to guests on 6 June 2014
- As the leader in the UK short break holiday market, Center Parcs regularly achieves average annual occupancy in excess of 97%
- Center Parcs offers weekend, (Friday to Monday) or midweek (Monday to Friday) breaks and welcomes over 1.7 million guests each year, with 96% of guests expressing an intention to return
- The Center Parcs concept is to provide a range of high quality accommodation, shops, restaurants and exceptional leisure facilities, carefully nestled amongst 400 acres of protected forest environment
- This concept originated in Holland in 1967, with the first UK Center Parcs opening in 1987. Center Parcs is now a separate entity in the UK, owned by The Blackstone Group
- Center Parcs has been awarded the following accolades since 2008: the Green Business Award for Biodiversity Protection, Visit Britain 5 Star Rating, Hospitality Assured, Biodiversity Benchmark - Land Management, Carbon Trust Standard, Good Spa Guide Award, ISO14001, Investors in People
- Center Parcs has recently been announced ‘Best Family Holiday Provider’ in the Tommy’s Awards for the eleventh year in a row